Animal Chiropractic, also called Veterinary Spinal Manipulation Therapy (VSMT), is a modality similar to chiropractic care in humans where adjustments are applied to assist in normal motion of a pet's spine and relieve pain and discomfort.
Joints are meant to move but sometimes they can get "stuck." This is called vertebral subluxation complex or VSC. Animal Chiropractic helps restore motion to a pet's joints to help the nervous system function better.
What Can Cause a Vertebral Subluxation Complex (VSC)?
- Birthing process
- Environment (where pet sleeps, flooring, etc.)
- Lack of exercise
- Surgery or history of surgery, anesthesia
Signs and Symptoms of VSC
- Altered sitting
- Changes in eating or eliminating
- Changes in gait
- Constantly licking or chewing paws
- Difficulty chewing and bad breath
- Difficulty when getting up after lying down
- Lameness or Paralysis
- Nails wearing unevenly
- Negative changes in attitude or behavior
- Pain when being touched or lifted
- Post-surgical care
- Refusing to go up or down stairs
- Reluctance or difficulty climbing stairs or jumping
- Skin sensitivity
What Conditions Can Be Improved By Spinal Manipulation?
- Disc bulge/herniation – depending on case
- Geriactric-quality of life
- Hip dysplasia
- Hypersensitivity or lack of sensitivity
- Lick granulomas
- Pre and post surgery
- Preventive care
- Recurrent anal gland infection
- Recurrent ear infections
- Spondylosis – extra bone formed at loose joints
- Urine leakage
If you think veterinary spinal manipulation therapy might help your pet, please contact us at 325-692-4433 to schedule a consultation.